Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Prairie Dale, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Prairie Dale and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Prairie Dale:
- 45.697218, -104.503285
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Prairie Dale
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Prairie Dale ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Beaver Flats [Carter County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beaver Flats
- Beaver Flats [Carter County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the northwest of Prairie Dale
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beaver Flats have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Belltower [Carter County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Belltower
- Belltower [Carter County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the southeast of Prairie Dale
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Belltower have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Belltower
- Camp Crook [Harding County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Camp Crook
- Camp Crook [Harding County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the east of Prairie Dale
- Population from the 2020 Census: 66 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Camp Crook have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Camp Crook
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Camp Crook<3>
- Capitol [Carter County]
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Knobs [Fallon County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Knobs
- Knobs [Fallon County] was located 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Prairie Dale
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Knobs have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Mill Iron [Carter County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mill Iron
- Mill Iron [Carter County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the northeast of Prairie Dale
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mill Iron have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mill Iron
- Powderville [Powder River County]
How Far From Prairie Dale to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Prairie Dale to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<4> community of Prairie Dale once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Prairie Dale and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Ekalaka, which is the Seat of Carter County and lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the north. If you could walk a straight line from Prairie Dale to Ekalaka, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take 6 hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take four to five hours.
- Helena, which is the State Capital of Montana, lies 364 miles [585.8 km] to the west northwest (WNW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take 6 hours, a buggy would take 15 days and walking would take 21 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,470 miles [2,365.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 58 days and walking would take 84 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,516 miles [10,486.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,283 miles [11,720.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,246 miles [8,442.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Montana
About Carter County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Prairie Dale) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Prairie Dale. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.6972, Longitude: -104.5033 In this case, the coordinates for Prairie Dale have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Prairie Dale, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Prairie Dale to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 326.565 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 325.719 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 316.859 degrees.||