Welcome to Gregson ...
So far, we have found very little information about Gregson. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Gregson to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Gregson, please Contact Us.
Gregson would have been located within present day Deer Lodge County<2>.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Gregson is 5,130 feet [1,564 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Gregson is about 1 mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Gregson was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Gregson once stood is in the (406) area code.
Communities near Gregson ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Gregson.
- Butte - Silver Bow [Silver Bow County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Butte - Silver Bow
- Butte - Silver Bow [Silver Bow County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the southeast of Gregson
- Estimated population in 2019: 34,207 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Butte - Silver Bow have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Butte - Silver Bow
- Anaconda-Deer Lodge County [Deer Lodge County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Anaconda-Deer Lodge County
- Anaconda-Deer Lodge County [Deer Lodge County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the northwest of Gregson
- Population from the 2020 Census: 9,204 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Anaconda-Deer Lodge County came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Anaconda-Deer Lodge County
- Walkerville [Silver Bow County]
- Mine Creek [Deer Lodge County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mine Creek
- Mine Creek [Deer Lodge County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the northwest of Gregson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mine Creek
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Ramsay [Silver Bow County]
- Anaconda [Deer Lodge County]
- Sunnyside [Deer Lodge County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunnyside
- Sunnyside [Deer Lodge County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the northwest of Gregson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunnyside
- Warm Springs [Deer Lodge County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Warm Springs
- Warm Springs [Deer Lodge County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the north of Gregson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Warm Springs
- French Town [Deer Lodge County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for French Town
- French Town [Deer Lodge County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the southwest of Gregson
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for French Town have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on French Town
- Williamsburg [Silver Bow County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Williamsburg
- Williamsburg [Silver Bow County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the east of Gregson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Williamsburg
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Gregson. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Gregson.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Gregson. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Gregson.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Gregson. See our Newspapers Page for Gregson.
Adding Gregson to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Gregson in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Gregson was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Gregson on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Montana
About Deer Lodge County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Gregson, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Deer Lodge, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Gregson - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Gregson) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Gregson. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from GregsonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Gregson. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.0480, Longitude: -112.8098 |
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|