Census Data for Colstrip ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Colstrip a population of 2,247 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Colstrip a population of 2,214 people.
The city of Colstrip is located in Rosebud County. The 2010 Census gave Rosebud County; a population of 9,233 people. This means that Colstrip had 23.98% of the county's total population, making it Rosebud's most populous community.
At the same time, Montana had a population of 989,415 people, meaning that Colstrip had 0.22% of the total population of Montana - making it the state's 30th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Colstrip has a total area of 4.46 square miles [11.6 km²].
Rosebud County has a land area of 5,010 square miles [12,976.9 km²]. At 4.46 square miles [11.6 km²], Colstrip has 0.09% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a city like Colstrip, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the city.
- Things like population, area and housing for Colstrip reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Colstrip might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 45° 53' 45" (or 45.9°)
- Lon: -106° 37' 39" (or -106.63°)
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Colstrip had 986 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 2,214 people, this averages 2.25 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Colstrip had a land area of 4.46 square miles [11.6 km²]. This translates to 220.8 Housing Units per square mile [85.3 housing units/km²].
Rosebud County ...
Colstrip is located in Rosebud County<4>.
The county had a population of 9,233 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 2,214 people, Colstrip represented 23.98% of the county's total.
In addition, where the city of Colstrip has a population density of 495.9 people per square mile [191.5 people/km²], Rosebud County averages 1.84 people per square mile [0.71 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Rosebud County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Colstrip, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Colstrip. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Colstrip or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Colstrip, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Colstrip.
Miscellaneous Information for Colstrip ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Rosebud County or the city of Colstrip:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Colstrip:
- GNIS ID for Colstrip: 2410199
- GNIS ID for Rosebud County: 1716795
- GNIS ID for State of Montana: 767982
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Colstrip is located in Census Region #4 (the West Region) and Division #8 (the Mountain Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a city like Colstrip, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Colstrip. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Colstrip:59323<6>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Colstrip.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Montana
About Rosebud County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Colstrip. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Rosebud, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 177 degrees and a distance of 11.31 feet.|
|<6>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Colstrip or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|