Welcome to Winnipeg ...
When the people of Winnipeg refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use terms like Winnipegger or Pegger.<1>
The city of Winnipeg was established in 1738.
Winnipeg is 740 feet [226 m] above sea level.<2>.
Time Zone: Winnipeg lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: CST- Heure Normale du Centre (HNC), CDT- Heure Avancée du Centre (HAC).
The area code for Winnipeg: (204)
The Canadian Postal Codes for Winnipeg: R2C, R2G, R2H, R2J, R2K, R2L, R2M, R2N, R2P, R2R, R2V, R2W, R2X, R2Y, R3A, R3B, R3C, R3E, R3G, R3H, R3J, R3K, R3L, R3M, R3N, R3P, R3R, R3S, R3T, R3V, R3W, R3X, R3Y, R4G<3>
Websites for Winnipeg ...
Official Website: www.winnipeg.ca/
Communities Also Named Winnipeg ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 2 communities that are also named Winnipeg - they are located in Florida and Missouri.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Winnipeg.
Communities near Winnipeg ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Winnipeg.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oakbank
- Oakbank lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the east of Winnipeg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oakbank
- Stony Mountain
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Saint Adolphe
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saint Adolphe
- Saint Adolphe lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the south of Winnipeg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saint Adolphe
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beaumont
- Beaumont lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the south of Winnipeg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beaumont
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Norberry
- Norberry lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the south of Winnipeg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Norberry
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Transcona
- Transcona lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the east of Winnipeg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Transcona
- Bright Oaks
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bright Oaks
- Bright Oaks lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the south of Winnipeg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bright Oaks
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Middlechurch
- Middlechurch lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the northeast of Winnipeg
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Middlechurch came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Middlechurch
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Winnipeg ...
Looking for more information about Winnipeg? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Winnipeg, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Winnipeg.
Adding Winnipeg to Our Gazetteer ...
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Winnipeg was
We also found Winnipeg on a map titled Shell Oil Road Map for North Dakota (1949).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Winnipeg on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Manitoba
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Winnipeg: www.winnipeg.ca/
The official website for Province of Manitoba: https://www.gov.mb.ca/
|<1>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Winnipeg refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Winnipeg may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Winnipeg - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Winnipeg, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Winnipeg). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Winnipeg or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Winnipeg) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Winnipeg. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from WinnipegOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Winnipeg. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.9039, Longitude: -97.1234 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|