Welcome to Adams ...
Adams is located in Lawrence County<1>.
We aren't confident of the location of Adams, so consider the above location as an estimate.<2>
Adams is 640 feet [195 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Adams lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
The telephone area code for Adams: (606)
The ZIP code for Adams: 41201<4>
Adding Adams to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Adams in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Adams was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Adams on a map titled Rand McNally Map of Kentucky (1911).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Adams on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Adams ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 51 communities that are also named Adams - they are located in Alabama (2), California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia (5), Illinois (2), Indiana (3), Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri (3), Nebraska (2), New Jersey, New York, North Carolina (2), North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania (4), South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (3), Vermont, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Adams.
Communities near Adams ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Adams.
- Paintsville [Johnson County]
- Louisa [Lawrence County]
- Wayne [Wayne County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wayne
- Wayne [Wayne County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the northeast of Adams
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,576 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wayne have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wayne
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wayne<6>
- Fort Gay [Wayne County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fort Gay
- Fort Gay [Wayne County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the northeast of Adams
- Estimated population in 2019: 689 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fort Gay have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fort Gay
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Inez [Martin County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Inez
- Inez [Martin County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the southeast of Adams
- Estimated population in 2019: 620 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Inez have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Inez
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Inez<6>
- Blaine [Lawrence County]
- Cando [Lawrence County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cando
- Cando [Lawrence County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the southwest of Adams
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Cando. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Noris [Lawrence County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Noris
- Noris [Lawrence County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the south of Adams
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Noris have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Smoky Valley [Lawrence County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Smoky Valley
- Smoky Valley [Lawrence County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the northeast of Adams
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Smoky Valley
- Charley [Lawrence County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Charley
- Charley [Lawrence County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the south of Adams
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Charley
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Adams. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Adams.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Adams. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Adams.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Adams. See our Newspapers Page for Adams.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Adams ...
Looking for more information about Adams? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Adams, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Adams.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Kentucky
About Lawrence County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Adams. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Kentucky: https://kentucky.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Kentucky's counties, including Lawrence, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Adams - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Adams). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Adams or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Adams) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Adams. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AdamsOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Adams. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.0545, Longitude: -82.7080 In this case, the coordinates for Adams have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|