Welcome to Atlanta ...
The city of Atlanta is located in Logan County<1>.
The location of Atlanta has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<2>
The pronunciation of Atlanta: at-LAN-tuh<3>
When the people of Atlanta refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use terms like Atlantan or Altantian.<4>
From the Census Estimates for 2018, Atlanta has a population of 1,619 people<5> (see below for details).
Atlanta is 710 feet [216 m] above sea level.<6>.
Time Zone: Atlanta lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
Atlanta is located in the (217) area code.
The ZIP code for Atlanta: 61723<7>
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2018 Census Estimates, Atlanta had an population of 1,619 people. This is a decrease of 4.31% since the 2010 Census (or a decrease of 1.82% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Atlanta had a population of 1,692 people (which is 5.58% of the total population of Logan County). This makes Atlanta the county's 2nd most populous community.
The population of Atlanta represents 0.01% of the population of Illinois (which has 12,830,632 people), making it the state's 529th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 1,692 people, the population of Atlanta increased 2.61% from the 2000 Census (which had a count of 1,649 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Atlanta.
Communities Also Named Atlanta ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 20 communities that are also named Atlanta - they are located in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, Nova Scotia, Ohio, Texas and Washington.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Atlanta.
Communities near Atlanta ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Atlanta.
- Bloomington [McLean County]
- Lincoln [Logan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lincoln
- Lincoln [Logan County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<8> to the southwest of Atlanta
- Estimated population in 2018: 13,685 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lincoln
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lincoln<9>
- Clinton [De Witt County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Clinton have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clinton
- Clinton [De Witt County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<8> to the southeast of Atlanta
- Estimated population in 2018: 6,927 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clinton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Clinton<9>
- Heyworth [McLean County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Heyworth have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heyworth
- Heyworth [McLean County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<8> to the east of Atlanta
- Estimated population in 2018: 2,899 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heyworth
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Heyworth<9>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Mackinaw [Tazewell County]
- Delavan [Tazewell County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Delavan
- Delavan [Tazewell County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<8> to the northwest of Atlanta
- Estimated population in 2018: 1,616 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Delavan
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Delavan<9>
- Mount Pulaski [Logan County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mount Pulaski have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mount Pulaski
- Mount Pulaski [Logan County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<8> to the south of Atlanta
- Estimated population in 2018: 1,481 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mount Pulaski
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mount Pulaski<9>
- Minier [Tazewell County]
- Danvers [McLean County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Danvers have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Danvers
- Danvers [McLean County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<8> to the north of Atlanta
- Estimated population in 2018: 1,112 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Danvers
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Danvers<9>
- Hopedale [Tazewell County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Atlanta. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Atlanta.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Atlanta. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Atlanta.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Atlanta. Our list includes 12 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Atlanta.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Atlanta ...
Looking for more information about Atlanta? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Atlanta, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Atlanta.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Illinois
About Logan County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Atlanta. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Logan County: www.co.logan.il.us/
The official website for State of Illinois: https://illinois.gov
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Illinois' counties, including Logan, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Atlanta. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<4>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Atlanta refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Atlanta may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<5>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Atlanta.|
|<6>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Atlanta - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<7>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Atlanta). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Atlanta or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<8>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Atlanta) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Atlanta. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Atlanta
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Atlanta. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 40.2636, Longitude: -89.2312 In this case, the coordinates for Atlanta have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<9>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|