Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Lowman, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Lowman and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Lowman:
- 44.083509, -115.620663
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Lowman
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Lowman ...
We have found three communities that share the name Lowman.
Within Idaho, the name Lowman is unique.
Beyond Idaho, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- New York
- Chemung County
- This Lowman is located in Chemung County and lies 1,949 miles [3,136.6 km]<1> to the east of the Lowman that is located in Boise County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lowman
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Chemung County community of Lowman.
- Lamar County
- Although located in Lamar County, we don't know the location within the county.
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Lamar County community of Lowman.
- West Virginia
- Wetzel County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the West Virginia community of Lowman [Wetzel County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Lowman ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Centerville [Boise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Centerville
- Centerville [Boise County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the southwest of Lowman
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Centerville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Centerville
- Crouch [Boise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crouch
- Crouch [Boise County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the west of Lowman
- Population from the 2020 Census: 192 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Crouch have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crouch
- Garden Valley [Boise County]
- Graham [Boise County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Graham
- Graham [Boise County] was located 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the southeast of Lowman
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Graham have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Granite [Boise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Granite
- Granite [Boise County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the southwest of Lowman
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Granite have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Granite
- Idaho City [Boise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Idaho City
- Idaho City [Boise County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Lowman
- Population from the 2020 Census: 480 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Idaho City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Idaho City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Idaho City<4>
- Pioneerville [Boise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pioneerville
- Pioneerville [Boise County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the southwest of Lowman
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pioneerville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pioneerville
- Quartzburg [Boise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Quartzburg
- Quartzburg [Boise County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Lowman
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Quartzburg have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Quartzburg
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Lowman. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Paul Revere (Musician)
- Born: Paul Revere Dick
- Musician. He was born in Harvard (NE) on January 7, 1938 (a Friday) and died in Garden Valley (ID) on October 4, 2014 (a Saturday) at the age of 76. He is buried at Morris Hill Cemetery (Ada County, Idaho).
- Garden Valley is located 16 miles [25.7 km] to the west of Lowman.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Paul Revere<5>
How Far From Lowman to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Lowman to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Lowman and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Idaho City, which is the Seat of Boise County and lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the south southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Lowman to Idaho City, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- Boise City, which is the State Capital of Idaho, lies 43 miles [69.2 km] to the southwest (SW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than an hour, a buggy would take just about two full days and walking would take about three full days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,008 miles [3,231.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 79 days and walking would take 114 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,878 miles [11,069.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,646 miles [12,305 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,679 miles [9,139.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Mentions & References for Lowman
Cities, Towns and Villages of Idaho
About Boise County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Lowman. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Boise County: www.co.boise.id.us/
The official website for State of Idaho: www.state.id.us/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Lowman) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Lowman. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from LowmanOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lowman. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.0835, Longitude: -115.6207 In this case, the coordinates for Lowman have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Lowman could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Lowman to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.172 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.567 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 323.749 degrees.||