Welcome to Burke ...
So far, we have found very little information about Burke. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Burke to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Burke, please Contact Us.
Burke was located in the Idaho Panhandle.
Burke would have been located within present day Shoshone County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Burke, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Burke is 3,700 feet [1,128 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Burke is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Burke was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Note: If you travel east from Burke (for example, toward Thompson Falls (MT)), you will leave Pacific Time and cross into the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT).
Burke would have been located in the (208) area code.
Communities Also Named Burke ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 13 communities that are also named Burke - they are located in California, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, New York, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia (2) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Burke.
Communities near Burke ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Burke.
- Kellogg [Shoshone County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kellogg
- Kellogg [Shoshone County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the west of Burke
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,130 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kellogg have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kellogg
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Kellogg<7>
- Pinehurst [Shoshone County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pinehurst
- Pinehurst [Shoshone County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the west of Burke
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,620 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pinehurst have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pinehurst
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Pinehurst<7>
- Osburn [Shoshone County]
- Wallace [Shoshone County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Mullan [Shoshone County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mullan
- Mullan [Shoshone County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<5> to the south of Burke
- Population from the 2020 Census: 691 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mullan have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mullan
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mullan<7>
- Smelterville [Shoshone County]
- Wardner [Shoshone County]
- Carbon Center [Shoshone County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carbon Center
- Carbon Center [Shoshone County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the northwest of Burke
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carbon Center
- Woodland Park [Shoshone County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Woodland Park
- Woodland Park [Shoshone County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the southwest of Burke
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Woodland Park
- Silverton [Shoshone County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Silverton
- Silverton [Shoshone County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the west of Burke
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Silverton have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Silverton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Silverton<7>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Burke. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Burke.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Burke. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Burke.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Burke. See our Newspapers Page for Burke.
Adding Burke to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Burke in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Burke was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Burke on a map titled Rand McNally Map of Idaho (1937).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Burke on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Idaho
About Shoshone County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Idaho: www.state.id.us/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Burke, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Idaho's counties, including Shoshone, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Burke - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Burke) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Burke. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BurkeOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Burke. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.5206, Longitude: -115.8196 In this case, the coordinates for Burke have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|