Welcome to Atlanta ...
Atlanta is located in Elmore County<1>.
When the people of Atlanta refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use terms like Atlantan or Altantian.<2>
Atlanta was established in 1863.
Atlanta is 5,430 feet [1,655 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Atlanta is about 1 mile [or ~1¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Atlanta lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Atlanta lies within the (208) area code.
The ZIP code for Atlanta: 83601<4>
Adding Atlanta to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
We originally found mention of Atlanta in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, we also found mention of Atlanta elsewhere: The earliest book where we found it mentioned was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Atlanta on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Atlanta ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 20 communities that are also named Atlanta - they are located in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, Nova Scotia, Ohio, Texas and Washington.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Atlanta.
Communities near Atlanta ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Atlanta.
- Spanish Town [Elmore County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spanish Town
- Spanish Town [Elmore County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the southwest of Atlanta
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Spanish Town have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Rocky Bar [Elmore County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rocky Bar
- Rocky Bar [Elmore County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Atlanta
- Sawtooth City [Blaine County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sawtooth City
- Sawtooth City [Blaine County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the northeast of Atlanta
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sawtooth City have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sawtooth City
- Paradise Hot Springs [Elmore County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paradise Hot Springs
- Paradise Hot Springs [Elmore County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the south of Atlanta
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paradise Hot Springs
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Galena [Blaine County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Galena
- Galena [Blaine County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<5> to the east of Atlanta
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Galena
- Pine [Elmore County]
- Boulder [Blaine County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Boulder
- Boulder [Blaine County] was located 30 miles [48.3 km]<5> to the east of Atlanta
- Boulder has also been known as:
- Boulder Basin
- Stanley [Custer County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Stanley
- Stanley [Custer County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<5> to the north of Atlanta
- Estimated population in 2019: 69 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Stanley have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stanley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Stanley<7>
- Lowman [Boise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lowman
- Lowman [Boise County] lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<5> to the northwest of Atlanta
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lowman have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lowman
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lowman<7>
- Hill City [Camas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hill City
- Hill City [Camas County] lies 34 miles [54.7 km]<5> to the south of Atlanta
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hill City have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hill City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Hill City<7>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Atlanta. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Atlanta.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Atlanta. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Atlanta.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Atlanta. See our Newspapers Page for Atlanta.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Atlanta ...
Looking for more information about Atlanta? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Atlanta, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Atlanta.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Idaho
About Elmore County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Atlanta. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Elmore County: www.elmorecounty.org/
The official website for State of Idaho: www.state.id.us/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Idaho's counties, including Elmore, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Atlanta refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Atlanta may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Atlanta - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Atlanta). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Atlanta or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Atlanta) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Atlanta. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Atlanta
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Atlanta. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.8017, Longitude: -115.1272
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|