Welcome to Laurel ...
The town of Laurel is located in Sussex County<1>.
When the people of Laurel refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use terms like Laurelite or Laurelian.<2>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Laurel has a population of 4,356 people<3> (see below for details).
Laurel is near sea level<4>.
Time Zone: Laurel lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Laurel lies within the (302) area code.
The ZIP code for Laurel: 19956<5>
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Laurel had an population of 4,356 people. This is an increase of 17.48% since the 2010 Census (or an increase of 18.76% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Laurel had a population of 3,708 people. This makes Laurel the county's 5th most populous community.
The population of Laurel represents 0.41% of the population of Delaware (which has 897,934 people), making it the state's 12th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 3,708 people, the population of Laurel increased 1.09% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 3,668 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Laurel.
Communities Also Named Laurel ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 40 communities that are also named Laurel - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, California (3), Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky (2), Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, North Carolina (2), Ohio, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania (4), Quebec, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee (2), Texas, Virginia (3), Washington (2) and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Laurel.
Communities near Laurel ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Laurel.
- Salisbury [Wicomico County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Salisbury have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salisbury
- Salisbury [Wicomico County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<7> to the south of Laurel
- Estimated population in 2019: 32,935 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Salisbury
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Salisbury<8>
- Seaford [Sussex County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Seaford have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seaford
- Seaford [Sussex County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<7> to the north of Laurel
- Estimated population in 2019: 8,013 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Seaford
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Seaford<8>
- Georgetown [Sussex County]
- Fruitland [Wicomico County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fruitland have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fruitland
- Fruitland [Wicomico County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<7> to the south of Laurel
- Estimated population in 2019: 5,309 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fruitland
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Fruitland<8>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Millsboro [Sussex County]
- Delmar [Wicomico County]
- Federalsburg [Caroline County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Federalsburg have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Federalsburg
- Federalsburg [Caroline County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<7> to the northwest of Laurel
- Estimated population in 2019: 2,661 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Federalsburg
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Federalsburg<8>
- Bridgeville [Sussex County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bridgeville have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bridgeville
- Bridgeville [Sussex County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<7> to the north of Laurel
- Estimated population in 2019: 2,366 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bridgeville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bridgeville<8>
- Hurlock [Dorchester County]
- Delmar [Sussex County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Laurel. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Laurel.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Laurel. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Laurel.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Laurel. Our list includes 7 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Laurel.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Laurel ...
Looking for more information about Laurel? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Laurel, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Laurel.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Delaware
About Sussex County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Laurel. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Sussex County: www.sussexcounty.net/
The official website for State of Delaware: https://delaware.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Delaware's counties, including Sussex, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Laurel refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a town's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Laurel may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Laurel.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Laurel - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a town (such as Laurel). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Laurel or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Laurel) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Laurel. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Laurel
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Laurel. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.5568, Longitude: -75.5712
|<8>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|