Welcome to Akron ...
The town of Akron is located in Washington County<1> and is the County Seat for Washington County.
When the people of Akron refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Akronite<2>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Akron has a population of 1,723 people<3> (see below for details).
Akron was incorporated September 22, 1887.
From Place Names in Colorado,<4> the origin of Akron is described as "Greek for 'summit'. So named as it is the highest point on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy (C.B.&Q.) Railroad east of Denver."
The community of Akron is 4,650 feet [1,417 m] above sea level.<5> In other words, the elevation of Akron is about ¾ mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Akron lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The telephone area code for Akron: (970)
The ZIP code for Akron: 80720<6>
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Akron had an population of 1,723 people. This is an increase of 1.23% since the 2010 Census (or an increase of 0.7% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Akron had a population of 1,702 people (or 35.36% of the total population of Washington County). This makes Akron the county's most populous community.
The population of Akron represents 0.03% of the population of Colorado (which has 5,029,196 people), making it the state's 120th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 1,702 people, the population of Akron has remained roughly the same as the 2000 Census (which had a count of 1,711 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Akron.
Communities Also Named Akron ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 18 communities that are also named Akron - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas (4), Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, Ontario, Utah and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Akron.
Communities near Akron ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Akron.
- Otis [Washington County]
- Hillrose [Morgan County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hillrose have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hillrose
- Hillrose [Morgan County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<7> to the northwest of Akron
- Estimated population in 2019: 260 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hillrose
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Hillrose<8>
- Curtis [Washington County] - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Curtis. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<10>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Curtis
- Curtis [Washington County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<7> to the northeast of Akron
- Platner [Washington County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Platner
- Platner [Washington County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<7> to the east of Akron
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Platner
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Xenia [Washington County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Xenia have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Xenia
- Xenia [Washington County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<7> to the west of Akron
- Midway [Washington County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Midway have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Midway
- Midway [Washington County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<7> to the northwest of Akron
- Harmon [Washington County] - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Harmon. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<10>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Harmon
- Harmon [Washington County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<7> to the east of Akron
- Pinneo [Washington County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pinneo have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pinneo
- Pinneo [Washington County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<7> to the west of Akron
- Elba [Washington County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elba have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elba
- Elba [Washington County] was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<7> to the south of Akron
- Rago [Washington County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rago have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rago
- Rago [Washington County] was located 15 miles [24.1 km]<7> to the southwest of Akron
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Akron. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Akron.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Akron. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Akron.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Akron. Our list includes 9 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Akron.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Akron ...
Looking for more information about Akron? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Akron, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Akron.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Colorado
About Washington County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Akron. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Colorado: https://www.colorado.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Colorado's counties, including Washington, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Akron refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a town's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Akron may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Akron.|
|<4>||The full book title is Place Names in Colorado: Why 700 Communities were so named, 150 of Spanish or Indian origin. See our References and Mentions section for Akron.|
|<5>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Akron - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<6>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a town (such as Akron). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Akron or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<7>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Akron) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Akron. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Akron
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Akron. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 40.1632, Longitude: -103.2115
|<8>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<9>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<10>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|