Our Genealogy Helper for Annis ...
Although we found mention of Annis during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> We believe that Annis had a post office at one time. We have done a cursory search and haven't been able to find any evidence that the community still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Annis (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Annis. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Annis:
- Websites specific to British Columbia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for British Columbia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from British Columbia
Cemeteries Near Annis ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Annis.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Annis covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Eagle Valley & District Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Eagle Valley & District Cemetery
- Eagle Valley & District Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the northeast of Annis.
- Eagle Valley & District Cemetery has also been known as:
- Solsqua - Cambie Cemetery
- Solsqua Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eagle Valley & District Cemetery
- Mara Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mara Cemetery
- Mara Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the south of Annis.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mara Cemetery
- Tappen Cemetery
- Mt. Ida Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mt. Ida Cemetery
- Mt. Ida Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the southwest of Annis.
- Mt. Ida Cemetery has also been known as:
- Salmon Arm Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mt. Ida Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2228240<3>
- Malakwa Cemetery
- North Shuswap Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Blind Bay Cemetery
- Notch Hill Cemetery
- Cliffside Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Cliffside Cemetery
- Cliffside Cemetery lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the south of Annis.
- Cliffside Cemetery has also been known as:
- Cliffside Cemetery
- Enderby Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cliffside Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2295960<3>
- St. Mary's Anglican - United Church Cemetery
- Hullcar Cemetery
- Lansdowne Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lansdowne Cemetery
- Lansdowne Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the south of Annis.
- Lansdowne Cemetery has also been known as:
- Lansdown Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lansdowne Cemetery
- Armstrong Spallumcheen Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Armstrong Spallumcheen Cemetery
- Armstrong Spallumcheen Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the south of Annis.
- Armstrong Spallumcheen Cemetery has also been known as:
- Armstrong Cemetery
- Armstrong Municipal Cemetery
- Armstrong / Spallumcheen Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Armstrong Spallumcheen Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2271558<3>
- Chase Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Chase Cemetery
- Chase Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the west of Annis.
- Chase Cemetery has also been known as:
- Chase Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chase Cemetery
- G.S. Pelly Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the G.S. Pelly Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the G.S. Pelly Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- G.S. Pelly Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the south of Annis.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on G.S. Pelly Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Annis. See our List of 1890's Communities around Annis.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions for Annis ...
With our Gazetteer, we add the names of communities whenever we see them mentioned - frequently found in old books or maps. Usually we don't have any details that go with the name, but we'll eventually find documents that will give us a fact here or a snippet there. We've created the following list to keep track of the documents we found useful in adding to our knowledge about Annis.
We hope that the following list of documents will be of interest to you.
Gulf Oil Map of British Columbia (1925)
Published by Gulf Refinish Company
SPV's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America - Western Canada
Written by: Walker, Mike
Published by Steam Powered Video (SPV), 2006
(Available from Amazon.com)
for Annis. See our Misc Page for Annis for more information.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in British Columbia
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Annis and then turned east". While Annis could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Annis as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Annis could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another British Columbia community named Annis.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Annis) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Annis. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.7931, Longitude: -119.0833 |
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|