Welcome to Altona ...
When the people of Altona refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Altonan<1>
Time Zone: Altona lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Note: If you travel west from Altona, you will soon leave Mountain Time and cross into the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST). In addition, you will be moving from an area that observes daylight saving time to one that does not.
Area codes for Altona: (250) & (778)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Altona: V0C<3>
Communities Also Named Altona ...
Using our Gazetteer, we found that there are 12 communities that are also named Altona - they are located in Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Manitoba, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Oklahoma, Ontario and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Altona.
Communities near Altona ...
We have created a list of 8 communities that are near Altona.
- Blueberry River 205
(15 miles [24.1 km] to the southwest)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Blueberry River 205 came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blueberry River 205
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Blueberry River 205
(6 miles [9.7 km] to the west)
(10 miles [16.1 km] to the east)
(17 miles [27.4 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Buick
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Buick
(25 miles [40.2 km] to the south)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Murdale came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Murdale
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Murdale
- Rose Prairie
(26 miles [41.8 km] to the south)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rose Prairie came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rose Prairie
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Rose Prairie
- Doig River 206
(27 miles [43.5 km] to the southeast)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Doig River 206 came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Doig River 206
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Doig River 206
- Doig River
(27 miles [43.5 km] to the southeast)
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Altona. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Altona refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Altona may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<2>||Area code (778) is an overlay for area code (250).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Altona, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Altona). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Altona or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|