Welcome to Altona ...
When the people of Altona refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Altonan<1>
Time Zone: Altona lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Note: If you travel west from Altona, you will soon leave Mountain Time and cross into the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST). In addition, you will be moving from an area that observes daylight saving time to one that does not.
Area codes for Altona: (250) and (778)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Altona: V0C<3>
Communities Also Named Altona ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 12 communities that are also named Altona - they are located in Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Manitoba, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Oklahoma, Ontario and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Altona.
Communities near Altona ...
We have created a list of 8 communities that are near Altona.
- Blueberry River 205
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blueberry River 205
- Blueberry River 205 lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the southwest of Altona
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Blueberry River 205 came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blueberry River 205
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Prespatou
- Prespatou lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the west of Altona
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Prespatou
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Peejay
- Peejay lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the east of Altona
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Peejay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Buick
- Buick lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the southwest of Altona
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Buick
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Murdale
- Murdale lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<4> to the south of Altona
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Murdale came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Murdale
- Rose Prairie
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rose Prairie
- Rose Prairie lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<4> to the south of Altona
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rose Prairie came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rose Prairie
- Doig River 206
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Doig River 206
- Doig River 206 lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<4> to the southeast of Altona
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Doig River 206 came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Doig River 206
- Doig River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Doig River
- Doig River lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<4> to the southeast of Altona
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Doig River
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of British Columbia
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Altona. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Altona refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Altona may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<2>||Area code (778) is an overlay for area code (250).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Altona, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Altona). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Altona or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Altona) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Altona. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Altona
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Altona. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 56.9000, Longitude: -120.9000
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|