Welcome to Altamont ...
Although we found mention of Altamont during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Altamont was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Altamont to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Altamont, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Altamont might be (or was) located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: PST- Heure Normale du Pacifique (HNP), PDT- Heure Avancée du Pacifique (HAP).
Communities Also Named Altamont ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 24 communities that are also named Altamont - they are located in Alabama, California, Florida, Illinois (2), Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Manitoba, Maryland, Missouri, New Mexico, New York (2), North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Altamont.
Communities near Altamont ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Altamont.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richmond
- Richmond lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the southeast of Altamont
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Richmond came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Richmond
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Richmond<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coquitlam
- Coquitlam lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the east of Altamont
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Coquitlam came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coquitlam
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Coquitlam<3>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Delta
- Delta lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the southeast of Altamont
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Delta came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Delta
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Delta<3>
- New Westminster
- North Vancouver
- Port Moody
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gibsons
- Gibsons lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the west of Altamont
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gibsons came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gibsons
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Gibsons<3>
- Bowen Island
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bowen Island
- Bowen Island lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the northwest of Altamont
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bowen Island came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bowen Island
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bowen Island<3>
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Altamont ...
Looking for more information about Altamont? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Altamont, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Altamont.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for British Columbia
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Altamont and then turned east". While Altamont could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Altamont as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Altamont could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Altamont) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Altamont. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.3333, Longitude: -123.2000
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|