Welcome to Agassiz ...
The pronunciation of Agassiz: AGG-a-see<1>
The origin (or the toponymy) of Agassiz: Named after Captain Louis Agassiz, an early settler in this area.
Agassiz is 40 feet [12 m] above sea level.<2>.
Time Zone: Agassiz lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: PST- Heure Normale du Pacifique (HNP), PDT- Heure Avancée du Pacifique (HAP).
Telephone area codes for Agassiz: (604) and (778)<3>
The Canadian Postal Code for Agassiz: V0M<4>
Communities near Agassiz ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Agassiz.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chilliwack
- Chilliwack lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the southwest of Agassiz
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Chilliwack. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chilliwack
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Chilliwack<7>
- Harrison Hot Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Harrison Hot Springs
- Harrison Hot Springs lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the north of Agassiz
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Harrison Hot Springs came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<8>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Harrison Hot Springs
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Harrison Hot Springs<7>
- Cultus Lake
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Seabird Island
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seabird Island
- Seabird Island lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<5> to the northeast of Agassiz
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Seabird Island came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<8>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Seabird Island
- Harrison Mills
- Minto Landing
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Minto Landing
- Minto Landing lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the west of Agassiz
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Minto Landing
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Laidlaw
- Laidlaw lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the northeast of Agassiz
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Laidlaw came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<8>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Laidlaw
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Laidlaw<7>
- Slesse Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Slesse Park
- Slesse Park lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the south of Agassiz
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Slesse Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Promontory
- Promontory lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Agassiz
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Promontory
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Agassiz. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Agassiz.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Agassiz. See our Newspapers Page for Agassiz.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Agassiz ...
Looking for more information about Agassiz? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Agassiz, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Agassiz.
Adding Agassiz to Our Gazetteer ...
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Agassiz was
We also found Agassiz on a map titled Gulf Oil Map of British Columbia (1925).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Agassiz on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a British Columbia Community
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Agassiz. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Agassiz. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Agassiz - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Area code (778) is an overlay for area code (604).|
|<4>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Agassiz, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Agassiz). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Agassiz or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Agassiz) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Agassiz. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AgassizOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Agassiz. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.2333, Longitude: -121.7667 |
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|