Welcome to Agassiz ...
The pronunciation of Agassiz: AGG-a-see<1>
The origin (or the toponymy) of Agassiz: Named after Captain Louis Agassiz, an early settler in this area.
Agassiz is 40 feet [12 m] above sea level.<2>.
Time Zone: Agassiz lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: PST- Heure Normale du Pacifique (HNP), PDT- Heure Avancée du Pacifique (HAP).
Area codes for Agassiz: (604) & (778)<3>
The Canadian Postal Code for Agassiz: V0M<4>
Communities near Agassiz ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Agassiz.
(9 miles [14.5 km] to the southwest)
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Chilliwack. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chilliwack
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Chilliwack
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Chilliwack <6>
(17 miles [27.4 km] to the northeast)
- Harrison Hot Springs
(4 miles [6.4 km] to the north)
- Cultus Lake
(14 miles [22.5 km] to the southwest)
- Seabird Island
(3 miles [4.8 km] to the northeast)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Seabird Island came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seabird Island
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Seabird Island
(4 miles [6.4 km] to the southwest)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rosedale came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rosedale
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Rosedale
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rosedale <6>
- Harrison Mills
(8 miles [12.9 km] to the west)
- Minto Landing
(8 miles [12.9 km] to the west)
(9 miles [14.5 km] to the northeast)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Laidlaw came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Laidlaw
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Laidlaw
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Laidlaw <6>
(11 miles [17.7 km] to the southwest)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sardis came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sardis
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Sardis
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sardis <6>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Agassiz. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Agassiz.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Agassiz. See our Newspapers Page for Agassiz.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Agassiz ...
Looking for more information about Agassiz? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Agassiz, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Agassiz.
Adding Agassiz to Our Gazetteer ...
The earliest source we've referenced which mentioned Agassiz was mentioned on a train schedule titled Canadian Pacific Railroad Time Tables (October 1899).
We also found Agassiz on a map titled Gulf Oil Map of British Columbia (1925).
For more details, see References and Mentions for Agassiz.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Agassiz. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Agassiz. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Agassiz - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Area code (778) is an overlay for area code (604).|
|<4>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Agassiz, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Agassiz). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Agassiz or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|