Census Data for Tinsman ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Tinsman a population of 44 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Tinsman a population of 54 people.
The town of Tinsman is located in Calhoun County. The 2010 Census gave Calhoun County; a population of 5,368 people. This means that Tinsman had 1.01% of the county's total population, making it Calhoun's 4th most populous community.
At the same time, Arkansas had a population of 2,915,918 people.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Tinsman has a total area of 0.54 square miles [1.4 km²].
Calhoun County has a land area of 628 square miles [1,628 km²]. At 0.54 square miles [1.4 km²], Tinsman has 0.09% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a town like Tinsman, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the town.
- Things like population, area and housing for Tinsman reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Tinsman might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 33° 37' 44" (or 33.63°)
- Lon: -92° 21' 11" (or -92.35°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Tinsman had 45 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 54 people, this averages 1.2 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Tinsman had a land area of 0.54 square miles [1.4 km²]. This translates to 83.6 Housing Units per square mile [32.29 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Tinsman had 49 Housing Units, a population of 75 people and a land area of 0.54 square miles [1.4 km²]. This gives a density of 1.53 people per Housing Unit and 89.9 Housing Units per square mile [34.72 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Tinsman and you need to be careful when comparing between the censuses. More information about the nature of these the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Calhoun County ...
The community of Tinsman is located in Calhoun County<4>.
The county had a population of 5,368 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 54 people, Tinsman represented 1.01% of the county's total.
In addition, where the town of Tinsman has a population density of 100.4 people per square mile [38.75 people/km²], Calhoun County averages 8.54 people per square mile [3.3 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Calhoun County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Tinsman, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Tinsman. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Tinsman or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Tinsman, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Tinsman.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 33.629163° (or 33°37'44" N)
- Lon: -92.353333° (or -92°21'11" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 33.629182° (or 33°37'45" N)
- Lon: -92.355095° (or -92°21'18" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 534 feet to the east<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2406737) to Tinsman. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Tinsman. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 33.629211° (or 33°37'45" N)
- Lon: -92.353337° (or -92°21'12" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 17.54 feet to the south<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Tinsman. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Tinsman.
Miscellaneous Information for Tinsman ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Calhoun County or the town of Tinsman:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Tinsman:
- GNIS ID for Tinsman: 2406737
- GNIS ID for Calhoun County: 63758
- GNIS ID for State of Arkansas: 68085
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Tinsman is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #7 (the West South-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Tinsman.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Arkansas
About Calhoun County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Tinsman. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Arkansas: https://portal.arkansas.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arkansas' counties, including Calhoun, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 269 degrees and a distance of 534 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 183 degrees and a distance of 17.54 feet.|