Census Data for Mitchellville ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Mitchellville a population of 336 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Mitchellville a population of 360 people.
The city of Mitchellville is located in Desha County. The 2010 Census gave Desha County; a population of 13,008 people. This means that Mitchellville had 2.77% of the county's total population, making it Desha's 4th most populous community.
At the same time, Arkansas had a population of 2,915,918 people, meaning that Mitchellville had 0.01% of the total population of Arkansas - making it the state's 326th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Mitchellville has a total area of 0.13 square miles [0.3 km²].
Desha County has a land area of 768 square miles [1,989.5 km²]. At 0.13 square miles [0.3 km²], Mitchellville has 0.02% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a city like Mitchellville, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the city.
- Things like population, area and housing for Mitchellville reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Mitchellville might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 33° 54' 18" (or 33.91°)
- Lon: -91° 29' 54" (or -91.5°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Mitchellville had 180 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 360 people, this averages 2 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Mitchellville had a land area of 0.13 square miles [0.3 km²]. This translates to 1,374 Housing Units per square mile [530 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Mitchellville had 197 Housing Units, a population of 497 people and a land area of 0.15 square miles [0.4 km²]. This gives a density of 2.52 people per Housing Unit and 1,316 Housing Units per square mile [508 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Mitchellville and you need to be careful when comparing results between the censuses. More information about these differences can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Desha County ...
The community of Mitchellville is located in Desha County<4>.
The county had a population of 13,008 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 360 people, Mitchellville represented 2.77% of the county's total.
In addition, where the city of Mitchellville has a population density of 2,748 people per square mile [1,061 people/km²], Desha County averages 16.93 people per square mile [6.54 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Desha County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Mitchellville, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Mitchellville. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Mitchellville or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Mitchellville, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Mitchellville.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 33.905068° (or 33°54'18" N)
- Lon: -91.498394° (or -91°29'54" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 33.905253° (or 33°54'18" N)
- Lon: -91.498277° (or -91°29'53" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 76.2 feet to the southwest<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2404276) to Mitchellville. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Mitchellville. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 33.905371° (or 33°54'19" N)
- Lon: -91.498448° (or -91°29'54" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 111.7 feet to the south<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Mitchellville. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Mitchellville.
Miscellaneous Information for Mitchellville ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Desha County or the city of Mitchellville:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Mitchellville:
- GNIS ID for Mitchellville: 2404276
- GNIS ID for Desha County: 66850
- GNIS ID for State of Arkansas: 68085
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Mitchellville is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #7 (the West South-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Mitchellville.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Arkansas Community
About Desha County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Mitchellville. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Arkansas: https://portal.arkansas.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arkansas' counties, including Desha, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 152 degrees and a distance of 76.2 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 188 degrees and a distance of 111.7 feet.|