Census Data for Booneville ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Booneville a population of 3,785 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Booneville a population of 3,990 people.
The city of Booneville is located in Logan County. The 2010 Census gave Logan County; a population of 22,353 people. This means that Booneville had 17.85% of the county's total population, making it Logan's most populous community.
At the same time, Arkansas had a population of 2,915,918 people, meaning that Booneville had 0.14% of the total population of Arkansas - making it the state's 78th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Booneville has a total area of 4.1 square miles [10.6 km²]. Of this total, a small amount of the area is covered by water (0.02 square miles [0 km²]).
Logan County has a land area of 708 square miles [1,834 km²]. At 4.08 square miles [10.6 km²], Booneville has 0.58% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a city like Booneville, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the city.
- Things like population, area and housing for Booneville reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Booneville might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 35° 8' 23" (or 35.14°)
- Lon: -93° 55' 7" (or -93.92°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Booneville had 1,852 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 3,990 people, this averages 2.15 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Booneville had a land area of 4.08 square miles [10.6 km²]. This translates to 451.6 Housing Units per square mile [174.4 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Booneville had 1,863 Housing Units, a population of 4,117 people and a land area of 4.08 square miles [10.6 km²]. This gives a density of 2.21 people per Housing Unit and 457 Housing Units per square mile [176.5 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Booneville and you need to be careful when comparing values between the censuses. More information about the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Logan County ...
The community of Booneville is located in Logan County<4> and is the County Seat for Logan County.
The county had a population of 22,353 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 3,990 people, Booneville represented 17.85% of the county's total.
In addition, where the city of Booneville has a population density of 972 people per square mile [375.7 people/km²], Logan County averages 31.57 people per square mile [12.19 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Logan County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Booneville, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Booneville. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Booneville or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Booneville, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Booneville.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 35.139747° (or 35°8'23" N)
- Lon: -93.918654° (or -93°55'7" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 35.139650° (or 35°8'22" N)
- Lon: -93.921272° (or -93°55'16" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 781 feet to the east<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2403896) to Booneville. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Booneville. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 35.139539° (or 35°8'22" N)
- Lon: -93.919420° (or -93°55'9" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 240.6 feet to the east<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Booneville. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Booneville.
Miscellaneous Information for Booneville ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Logan County or the city of Booneville:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Booneville:
- GNIS ID for Booneville: 2403896
- GNIS ID for Logan County: 82850
- GNIS ID for State of Arkansas: 68085
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Booneville is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #7 (the West South-Central Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a city like Booneville, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Booneville. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Booneville:72927<7>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Booneville.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Arkansas Community
About Logan County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Booneville. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Arkansas: https://portal.arkansas.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arkansas' counties, including Logan, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 272 degrees and a distance of 781 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 288 degrees and a distance of 240.6 feet.|
|<7>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Booneville or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|