Census Data for Bonanza ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Bonanza a population of 564 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Bonanza a population of 575 people.
The city of Bonanza is located in Sebastian County. The 2010 Census gave Sebastian County; a population of 125,744 people. This means that Bonanza had 0.46% of the county's total population, making it Sebastian's 9th most populous community.
At the same time, Arkansas had a population of 2,915,918 people, meaning that Bonanza had 0.02% of the total population of Arkansas - making it the state's 255th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Bonanza has a total area of 2.81 square miles [7.3 km²]. Of this total, a small amount of the area is covered by water (0.02 square miles [0 km²]).
Sebastian County has a land area of 531 square miles [1,377.6 km²]. At 2.79 square miles [7.2 km²], Bonanza has 0.52% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a city like Bonanza, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the city.
- Things like population, area and housing for Bonanza reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Bonanza might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 35° 13' 54" (or 35.23°)
- Lon: -94° 24' 58" (or -94.42°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Bonanza had 255 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 575 people, this averages 2.25 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Bonanza had a land area of 2.79 square miles [7.2 km²]. This translates to 90.9 Housing Units per square mile [35.1 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Bonanza had 219 Housing Units, a population of 514 people and a land area of 1.23 square miles [3.2 km²]. This gives a density of 2.35 people per Housing Unit and 178.4 Housing Units per square mile [68.9 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Bonanza and you need to be careful when comparing between the censuses. More information about the nature of these the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Sebastian County ...
The community of Bonanza is located in Sebastian County<4>.
The county had a population of 125,744 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 575 people, Bonanza represented 0.46% of the county's total.
In addition, where the city of Bonanza has a population density of 205 people per square mile [79.1 people/km²], Sebastian County averages 236.4 people per square mile [91.3 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Sebastian County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Bonanza, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Bonanza. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Bonanza or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Bonanza, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Bonanza.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 35.231875° (or 35°13'54" N)
- Lon: -94.416197° (or -94°24'58" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 35.237676° (or 35°14'15" N)
- Lon: -94.428892° (or -94°25'44" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 4,331 feet to the southeast<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2403891) to Bonanza. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Bonanza. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 35.234073° (or 35°14'2" N)
- Lon: -94.427946° (or -94°25'40" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 3,589 feet to the east<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Bonanza. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Bonanza.
Miscellaneous Information for Bonanza ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Sebastian County or the city of Bonanza:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Bonanza:
- GNIS ID for Bonanza: 2403891
- GNIS ID for Sebastian County: 69181
- GNIS ID for State of Arkansas: 68085
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Bonanza is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #7 (the West South-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Bonanza.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Arkansas
About Sebastian County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Bonanza. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Sebastian County: www.sebastiancountyonline.com/
The official website for State of Arkansas: https://portal.arkansas.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arkansas' counties, including Sebastian, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 240 degrees and a distance of 4,331 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 257 degrees and a distance of 3,589 feet.|