Census Data for Robertsdale ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Robertsdale a population of 6,815 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Robertsdale a population of 5,276 people.
The city of Robertsdale is located in Baldwin County. The 2010 Census gave Baldwin County; a population of 182,265 people. This means that Robertsdale had 2.89% of the county's total population, making it Baldwin's 8th most populous community.
At the same time, Alabama had a population of 4,779,736 people, meaning that Robertsdale had 0.11% of the total population of Alabama - making it the state's 100th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Robertsdale has a total area of 5.46 square miles [14.2 km²]. Of this total, a small amount of the area is covered by water (0.01 square miles [0 km²]).
Baldwin County has a land area of 1,589 square miles [4,117.5 km²]. At 5.45 square miles [14.1 km²], Robertsdale has 0.34% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a city like Robertsdale, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the city.
- Things like population, area and housing for Robertsdale reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Robertsdale might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 30° 33' 25" (or 30.56°)
- Lon: -87° 42' 16" (or -87.7°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Robertsdale had 2,164 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 5,276 people, this averages 2.44 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Robertsdale had a land area of 5.45 square miles [14.1 km²]. This translates to 396 Housing Units per square mile [152.9 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Robertsdale had 1,573 Housing Units, a population of 3,782 people and a land area of 5.46 square miles [14.1 km²]. This gives a density of 2.4 people per Housing Unit and 288.1 Housing Units per square mile [111.2 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Robertsdale and you need to be careful when comparing numbers between the censuses. More information about the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Baldwin County ...
Robertsdale is located in Baldwin County<4>.
The county had a population of 182,265 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 5,276 people, Robertsdale represented 2.89% of the county's total.
In addition, where the city of Robertsdale has a population density of 965 people per square mile [372.7 people/km²], Baldwin County averages 114.6 people per square mile [44.27 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Baldwin County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Robertsdale, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Robertsdale. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Robertsdale or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Robertsdale, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Robertsdale.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 30.557139° (or 30°33'25" N)
- Lon: -87.704710° (or -87°42'16" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 30.554454° (or 30°33'16" N)
- Lon: -87.705566° (or -87°42'20" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 1,015 feet to the north<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2404632) to Robertsdale. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Robertsdale. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 30.553282° (or 30°33'11" N)
- Lon: -87.705883° (or -87°42'21" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 1,453 feet to the north<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Robertsdale. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Robertsdale.
Miscellaneous Information for Robertsdale ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Baldwin County or the city of Robertsdale:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Robertsdale:
- GNIS ID for Robertsdale: 2404632
- GNIS ID for Baldwin County: 161527
- GNIS ID for State of Alabama: 1779775
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Robertsdale is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #6 (the East South-Central Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a city like Robertsdale, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Robertsdale. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Robertsdale:36567<7>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Robertsdale.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Alabama
About Baldwin County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Robertsdale. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Baldwin County: www.co.baldwin.al.us/
The official website for State of Alabama: https://www.alabama.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Alabama's counties, including Baldwin, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 344 degrees and a distance of 1,015 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 345 degrees and a distance of 1,453 feet.|
|<7>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Robertsdale or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|