Welcome to Houston ...
Houston is located in Winston County<1>.
The location of Houston has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<2>
When the people of Houston refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Houstonian<3>
Houston is 760 feet [232 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: Houston lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
Area codes for Houston: (256) & (938)<5>
The ZIP code for Houston: 35572<6>
Communities Also Named Houston ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 28 communities that are also named Houston - they are located in Alaska, Arkansas, British Columbia, California (2), Colorado, Delaware (2), Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi (2), Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina (2), Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Houston.
Communities near Houston ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Houston.
- Double Springs [Winston County]
- Addison [Winston County]
- Lynn [Winston County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lynn
- Lynn [Winston County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<7> to the west of Houston
- Estimated population in 2019: 635 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lynn
- West Point [Cullman County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for West Point
- West Point [Cullman County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<7> to the east of Houston
- Estimated population in 2019: 609 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for West Point have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on West Point
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Arley [Winston County]
- Nauvoo [Walker County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nauvoo
- Nauvoo [Walker County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<7> to the southwest of Houston
- Estimated population in 2019: 202 people
- Former name for Nauvoo:
- Ingle Mills
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nauvoo
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Nauvoo<8>
- Natural Bridge [Winston County]
- Falls City [Winston County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Falls City
- Falls City [Winston County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<7> to the south of Houston
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Falls City have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Falls City
- Grayson [Winston County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grayson
- Grayson [Winston County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<7> to the north of Houston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grayson
- Chances Crossroad [Cullman County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chances Crossroad
- Chances Crossroad [Cullman County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<7> to the east of Houston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chances Crossroad
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Houston. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Houston.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Houston. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Houston.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Houston. See our Newspapers Page for Houston.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Houston ...
Looking for more information about Houston? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Houston, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Houston.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alabama
About Winston County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Houston. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alabama: https://www.alabama.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Alabama's counties, including Winston, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Houston refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Houston may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Houston - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Area code (938) is an overlay for area code (256).|
|<6>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Houston). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Houston or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<7>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Houston) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Houston. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Houston
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Houston. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 34.1415, Longitude: -87.2581 In this case, the coordinates for Houston have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<8>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|