Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Northway, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Northway and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Northway:
- 62.981888, -141.953319
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Northway
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Northway ...
We have found three communities that share the name Northway.
Within Alaska, the name Northway is unique.
Beyond Alaska, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Adams County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Colorado community of Northway [Adams County].
- Cook County
- This Northway is located in Cook County and lies 2,578 miles [4,148.9 km]<2> to the east.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Northway
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Cook County community of Northway.
- Ashtabula County
- This community is historic<3> and although located in Ashtabula County, we don't know where within the .
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Ashtabula County community of Northway.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Northway ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Northway, Charlieskin Village is located 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the East
How Far From Northway to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Northway to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Northway and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 411 miles [661.4 km]<2> to the southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Northway to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take most of a day to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 24 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 16 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,095 miles [4,980.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 121 days and walking would take 176 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,883 miles [9,467.8 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,600 miles [10,621.7 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,050 miles [8,127.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Alaska Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Northway. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Northway could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Northway) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Northway. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Northway
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Northway. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 62.9819, Longitude: -141.9533
|<3>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Northway, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Northway to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 357.602 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 1.664 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 340.369 degrees.||