Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in New Igloo, we use the following websites to find information relevant to New Igloo and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for New Igloo:
- 65.127500, -165.168333
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on New Igloo
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near New Igloo ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Igloo
- Igloo lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the northeast of New Igloo
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Igloo have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Igloo
- Iron Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Iron Creek
- Iron Creek lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the southeast of New Igloo
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Iron Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Iron Creek
- Marys Igloo
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marys Igloo
- Marys Igloo lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the northeast of New Igloo
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Marys Igloo have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marys Igloo
- Pilgrim Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pilgrim Springs
- Pilgrim Springs lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the east of New Igloo
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pilgrim Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pilgrim Springs
- Salmon Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salmon Lake
- Salmon Lake lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the south of New Igloo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Salmon Lake
How Far From New Igloo to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as New Igloo to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in New Igloo and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 1,096 miles [1,763.8 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from New Igloo to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 63 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 43 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,764 miles [6,057.6 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 8 days, a buggy would take 147 days and walking would take 214 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,648 miles [9,089.6 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,307 miles [10,150.1 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,037 miles [8,106.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for New Igloo. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- New Igloo) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in New Igloo. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 65.1275, Longitude: -165.1683 In this case, the coordinates for New Igloo have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from New Igloo to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 17.424 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 23.169 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 358.149 degrees.||