Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Mount Edgecombe, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Mount Edgecombe and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Mount Edgecombe:
- 57.051111, -135.354444
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Mount Edgecombe
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
How Far From Mount Edgecombe to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Mount Edgecombe to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<1> beginning in Mount Edgecombe and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 93 miles [149.7 km]<1> to the north northeast (NNE). If you could drive a straight line from Mount Edgecombe to Juneau, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 6 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,863 miles [4,607.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 6 days, a buggy would take 112 days and walking would take 163 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,270 miles [10,090.6 km] and it lies to the north (N).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,003 miles [11,270.2 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,345 miles [8,601.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Mount Edgecombe. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Mount Edgecombe) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mount Edgecombe. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 57.0511, Longitude: -135.3544 In this case, the coordinates for Mount Edgecombe have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Mount Edgecombe to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 352.01 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 355.423 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 336.028 degrees.||