Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Mendenhaven, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Mendenhaven and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Mendenhaven:
- 58.391944, -134.566944
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Mendenhaven
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Mendenhaven ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fairhaven
- Fairhaven lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the west of Mendenhaven
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fairhaven
- Fish Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fish Creek
- Fish Creek lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the south of Mendenhaven
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fish Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fish Creek
- Hawk Inlet
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hawk Inlet
- Hawk Inlet lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the south of Mendenhaven
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hawk Inlet have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hawk Inlet
- Lemon Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lemon Creek
- Lemon Creek lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the southeast of Mendenhaven
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lemon Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lemon Creek
- Lena Beach
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lena Beach
- Lena Beach lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the west of Mendenhaven
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lena Beach have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lena Beach
How Far From Mendenhaven to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Mendenhaven to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Mendenhaven and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies just to the southeast (SE).
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,836 miles [4,564.1 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Mendenhaven to White House, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take 6 days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 162 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 111 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,174 miles [9,936.1 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,908 miles [11,117.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,249 miles [8,447.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Mendenhaven. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Mendenhaven) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mendenhaven. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 58.3919, Longitude: -134.5669 In this case, the coordinates for Mendenhaven have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Mendenhaven to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 351.343 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 354.70 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 335.323 degrees.||