Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Libbyville, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Libbyville and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Libbyville:
- 58.777778, -157.053056
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Libbyville
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Libbyville ...
We have found one communities that share the name Libbyville.
Within Alaska, the name Libbyville is unique.
Beyond Alaska, there is another community also named Libbyville in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Honolulu County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Hawaii community of Libbyville [Honolulu County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Libbyville ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- King Salmon
- Portage Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Portage Creek
- Portage Creek lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the west of Libbyville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Portage Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Portage Creek
How Far From Libbyville to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Libbyville to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Libbyville and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 812 miles [1,306.8 km]<2> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Libbyville to Juneau, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 47 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 32 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,634 miles [5,848.4 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 8 days, a buggy would take 142 days and walking would take 207 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,136 miles [9,874.9 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,807 miles [10,954.8 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,451 miles [8,772.5 km] and it lies to the north (N).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Libbyville. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Libbyville could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Libbyville) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Libbyville. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 58.7778, Longitude: -157.0531 In this case, the coordinates for Libbyville have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Libbyville to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 10.426 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 15.865 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 352.061 degrees.||