Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Koyuk, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Koyuk and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Koyuk:
- 64.933018, -161.156719
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Koyuk
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Koyuk ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Dime Landing
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dime Landing
- Dime Landing lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the north of Koyuk
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dime Landing have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dime Landing
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Haycock
- Haycock lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the north of Koyuk
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Haycock have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Haycock
- Moses Point
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Moses Point
- Moses Point lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the southwest of Koyuk
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Moses Point have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Moses Point
How Far From Koyuk to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Koyuk to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Koyuk and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 979 miles [1,575.5 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Koyuk to Juneau, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take most of two days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 56 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 39 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,655 miles [5,882.2 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 8 days, a buggy would take 143 days and walking would take 208 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,692 miles [9,160.4 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,362 miles [10,238.6 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,043 miles [8,115.9 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Koyuk. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Koyuk) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Koyuk. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Koyuk
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Koyuk. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 64.9330, Longitude: -161.1567
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Koyuk to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 14.005 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 19.486 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 355.032 degrees.||