Our Genealogy Helper for Knik ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Knik (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Knik. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Newspapers Published in Knik ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 66 newspapers that have been published in the area around Knik.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Knik, there are papers which were published within 39 miles [62.8 km]<1>. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Knik.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Knik:
- Websites specific to Alaska
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alaska
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alaska
Cemeteries Near Knik ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Knik.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Knik covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- St. John Cathedral Cemetery
- Sacred Heart Cemetery
- Ft. Richardson National Cemetery
- St. Nicholas Orthodox Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Nicholas Orthodox Church Cemetery
- St. Nicholas Orthodox Church Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the east of Knik.
- St. Nicholas Orthodox Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Eklutna Village Cemetery
- Old St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Nicholas Orthodox Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #1960291<2>
- Wasilla Aurora Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Wasilla Aurora Cemetery
- The Wasilla Aurora Cemetery is located in Wasilla.To be more precise, Wasilla Aurora Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the northeast of Knik.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wasilla Aurora Cemetery
- Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery
- The Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery is a very large cemetery that is located in Anchorage.To be more precise, Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the south of Knik.
- Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery has also been known as:
- Anchorage Municipal Cemetery
- Memorial Park Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #191762<2>
- Continue List ...
- Memorial To The Missing
- Valley Memorial Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Valley Memorial Park
- Valley Memorial Park lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the east of Knik.
- Valley Memorial Park has also been known as:
- Butte Cemetery
- Valley Memory Garden
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Valley Memorial Park
- Palmer Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Palmer Pioneer Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Palmer Pioneer Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- The Palmer Pioneer Cemetery is located outside and to the northeast of Palmer.More precisely, Palmer Pioneer Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the northeast of Knik.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Palmer Pioneer Cemetery
- Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pioneer Cemetery
- The Pioneer Cemetery is located outside and to the northeast of Palmer.Stated another way, Pioneer Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the northeast of Knik.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pioneer Cemetery
- Angelus Memorial Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Angelus Memorial Park
- Angelus Memorial Park lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the south of Knik.
- Angelus Memorial Park has also been known as:
- Angelus Memorial Cemetery
- Evergreen Memorial Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Angelus Memorial Park
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #1966487<2>
- Kashwitna Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Knik. See our List of 1890's Communities around Knik.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Knik: www.knik.org/
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Knik) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Knik. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Knik
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Knik. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 61.4578, Longitude: -149.7289 In this case, the coordinates for Knik have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|