Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Kepangalook, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Kepangalook and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Kepangalook:
- 60.850000, -161.616667
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Kepangalook
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Kepangalook ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Kepangalook, Oscarville is located 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the Southwest
How Far From Kepangalook to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Kepangalook to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Kepangalook and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 959 miles [1,543.4 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Kepangalook to Juneau, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take most of two days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 55 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 38 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,746 miles [6,028.6 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 8 days, a buggy would take 147 days and walking would take 213 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,962 miles [9,594.9 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,623 miles [10,658.7 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,326 miles [8,571.4 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Kepangalook. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Kepangalook) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kepangalook. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 60.8500, Longitude: -161.6167 In this case, the coordinates for Kepangalook have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Kepangalook to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 14.297 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 20.007 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 355.476 degrees.||