Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Kennicott, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Kennicott and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Kennicott:
- 61.486389, -142.886389
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Kennicott
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Kennicott ...
We have found one communities that share the name Kennicott.
Within Alaska, the name Kennicott is unique.
Beyond Alaska, there is another community also named Kennicott in Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- This Kennicott lies 2,742 miles [4,412.8 km]<1> to the east.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kennicott
Curious and Interesting Names Near Kennicott ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Kennicott, May Creek is located 11 miles [17.7 km] to the Southeast
How Far From Kennicott to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Kennicott to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<2> community of Kennicott once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Kennicott and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 366 miles [589 km]<1> to the southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Kennicott to Juneau, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take 6 hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 21 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 15 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,125 miles [5,029.2 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 122 days and walking would take 178 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,988 miles [9,636.8 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,702 miles [10,785.8 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,157 miles [8,299.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Kennicott) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Kennicott. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Kennicott
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kennicott. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 61.4864, Longitude: -142.8864 In this case, the coordinates for Kennicott have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Kennicott, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Kennicott to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 358.401 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 2.544 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 341.219 degrees.||