Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Kanapak, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Kanapak and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Kanapak:
- 61.834444, -163.202222
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Kanapak
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Kanapak ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Johnnys Village
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Johnnys Village
- Johnnys Village lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the northwest of Kanapak
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Johnnys Village have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Johnnys Village
- Mountain Village
- Pilot Station
How Far From Kanapak to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Kanapak to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Kanapak and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 1,012 miles [1,628.7 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Kanapak to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 58 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 40 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,775 miles [6,075.3 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 8 days, a buggy would take 148 days and walking would take 215 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,883 miles [9,467.8 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,540 miles [10,525.1 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,261 miles [8,466.8 km] and it lies to the north (N).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Kanapak. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Kanapak) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kanapak. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 61.8344, Longitude: -163.2022 In this case, the coordinates for Kanapak have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Kanapak to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 15.653 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 21.432 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 356.672 degrees.||