Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Juneau, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Juneau and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Juneau:
- 58.301728, -134.415517
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Juneau
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Juneau ...
We have found four communities that share the name Juneau.
Within Alaska, the name Juneau is unique.
Beyond Alaska, we know of another four communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- North Carolina
- Mecklenburg County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the North Carolina community of Juneau [Mecklenburg County].
- Indiana County
- This Juneau is located in Indiana County and lies 2,660 miles [4,280.9 km]<2> to the east.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Juneau
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Indiana County community of Juneau.
- Dodge County
- This Juneau is located in Dodge County and lies 2,185 miles [3,516.4 km]<2> to the east.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Juneau
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Dodge County community of Juneau.
- Milwaukee County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Wisconsin community of Juneau [Milwaukee County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Juneau ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cube Cove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cube Cove
- Cube Cove lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the southwest of Juneau
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cube Cove have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cube Cove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fairhaven
- Fairhaven lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the northwest of Juneau
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fairhaven
- Fish Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fish Creek
- Fish Creek lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the west of Juneau
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fish Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fish Creek
- Hawk Inlet
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hawk Inlet
- Hawk Inlet lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the southwest of Juneau
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hawk Inlet have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hawk Inlet
- Lemon Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lemon Creek
- Lemon Creek lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the northwest of Juneau
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lemon Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lemon Creek
- Lena Beach
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lena Beach
- Lena Beach lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the northwest of Juneau
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lena Beach have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lena Beach
How Far From Juneau to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Juneau to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Juneau and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,831 miles [4,556.1 km]<2> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Juneau to White House, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take 6 days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 161 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 111 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,180 miles [9,945.7 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,914 miles [11,127 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,252 miles [8,452.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Juneau: www.juneau.org/
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Juneau could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Juneau) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Juneau. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Juneau
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Juneau. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 58.3017, Longitude: -134.4155
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Juneau to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 351.215 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 354.556 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 335.221 degrees.||