Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Iron Creek, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Iron Creek and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Iron Creek:
- 64.964444, -164.655000
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Iron Creek
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Iron Creek ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Igloo
- Igloo lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Iron Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Igloo have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Igloo
- Lees Camp
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lees Camp
- Lees Camp lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the south of Iron Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lees Camp have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lees Camp
- Marys Igloo
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marys Igloo
- Marys Igloo lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Iron Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Marys Igloo have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marys Igloo
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- New Igloo
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Igloo
- New Igloo lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the northwest of Iron Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for New Igloo have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Igloo
- Pilgrim Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pilgrim Springs
- Pilgrim Springs lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Iron Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pilgrim Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pilgrim Springs
- Salmon Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salmon Lake
- Salmon Lake lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the west of Iron Creek
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Salmon Lake
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Iron Creek. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Ada Blackjack Johnson (Explorer)
How Far From Iron Creek to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Iron Creek to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Iron Creek and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 1,079 miles [1,736.5 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Iron Creek to Juneau, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 62 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 43 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,753 miles [6,039.9 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 8 days, a buggy would take 147 days and walking would take 214 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,663 miles [9,113.7 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,323 miles [10,175.9 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,048 miles [8,124 km] and it lies to the north (N).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Iron Creek. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Iron Creek) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Iron Creek. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 64.9644, Longitude: -164.6550 In this case, the coordinates for Iron Creek have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Iron Creek to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 16.981 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 22.70 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 357.751 degrees.||