Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Healy, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Healy and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Healy:
- 63.869809, -149.021455
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Healy
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Healy ...
We have found five communities that share the name Healy.
Within Alaska, the name Healy is unique.
Beyond Alaska, we know of another five communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Cook County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Illinois community of Healy [Cook County].
- Lane County
- This Healy is located in Lane County and lies 2,620 miles [4,216.5 km]<2> to the east southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Healy
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Lane County community of Healy.
- Churchill County
- This community is historic<3> and although located in Churchill County, we don't know where within the .
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Churchill County community of Healy.
- Cherokee County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Texas community of Healy [Cherokee County].
- Carbon County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Utah community of Healy [Carbon County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Healy ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ferry
- Ferry lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the north of Healy
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ferry have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ferry
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lignite
- Lignite lies 2 miles [3.2 km]<2> to the north of Healy
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lignite have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lignite
How Far From Healy to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Healy to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Healy and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 618 miles [994.6 km]<2> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Healy to Juneau, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 36 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 25 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,311 miles [5,328.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 130 days and walking would take 189 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,820 miles [9,366.4 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,520 miles [10,492.9 km] and it lies to the north (N).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,055 miles [8,135.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Healy. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Healy could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Healy) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Healy. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Healy
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Healy. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 63.8698, Longitude: -149.0215
|<3>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Healy, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Healy to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 3.636 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 8.257 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 345.70 degrees.||