Our Genealogy Helper for Hawk Inlet ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Hawk Inlet (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Hawk Inlet. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Newspapers Published in Hawk Inlet ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 85 newspapers that have been published in the area around Hawk Inlet.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Hawk Inlet, there are papers which were published within 29 miles [46.7 km]<1>. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Hawk Inlet.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Hawk Inlet:
- Websites specific to Alaska
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alaska
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alaska
Cemeteries Near Hawk Inlet ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Hawk Inlet.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Hawk Inlet covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Funter Bay Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Funter Bay Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Funter Bay Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the northwest of Hawk Inlet.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Funter Bay Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Funter Bay Cemetery
- Evergreen Cemetery
- The Evergreen Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located in Juneau.
- To be precise, Evergreen Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the northeast of Hawk Inlet.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Evergreen Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Evergreen Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #174229<3>
- Alaskan Memorial Park
- Kuteha Indian Burial Grounds
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Kuteha Indian Burial Grounds have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Kuteha Indian Burial Grounds lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the east of Hawk Inlet.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Kuteha Indian Burial Grounds
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kuteha Indian Burial Grounds
- Icy Strait Point Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Icy Strait Point Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Icy Strait Point Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the west of Hawk Inlet.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Icy Strait Point Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Icy Strait Point Cemetery
- Hoonah Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Hoonah Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- The Hoonah Cemetery is located outside and to the northwest of Hoonah.
- To be precise, Hoonah Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the west of Hawk Inlet.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hoonah Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hoonah Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Grave Island Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Grave Island Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- The Grave Island Cemetery is located in the vicinity of Tenakee Springs
- To be precise, Grave Island Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the southwest of Hawk Inlet.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Grave Island Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grave Island Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Hawk Inlet. See our List of 1890's Communities around Hawk Inlet.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Hawk Inlet. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Hawk Inlet) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hawk Inlet. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 58.1258, Longitude: -134.7531 In this case, the coordinates for Hawk Inlet have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|