Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Haines, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Haines and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Haines:
- 59.235040, -135.445376
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Haines
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Haines ...
We have found nine communities that share the name Haines.
Within Alaska, the name Haines is unique.
Beyond Alaska, we know of another nine communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Ventura County
- This Haines is located in Ventura County and lies 1,873 miles [3,014.3 km]<1> to the south southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Haines
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Ventura County community of Haines.
- Lowndes County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Georgia community of Haines [Lowndes County].
- Tazewell County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Illinois community of Haines [Tazewell County].
- Tuscola County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Michigan community of Haines [Tuscola County].
- Montgomery County
- This community is historic<3> and although located in Montgomery County, we don't know where within the .
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Montgomery County community of Haines.
- Baker County
- This Haines is located in Baker County and lies 1,228 miles [1,976.3 km]<1> to the southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Haines
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Baker County community of Haines.
- Lancaster County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Pennsylvania community of Haines [Lancaster County].
- Lehigh County
- This Haines is located in Lehigh County and lies 2,834 miles [4,560.9 km]<1> to the east.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Haines
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Lehigh County community of Haines.
- Wayne County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Pennsylvania community of Haines [Wayne County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Haines ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Covenant Life
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Covenant Life
- Covenant Life lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the northwest of Haines
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Covenant Life have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Covenant Life
- Mosquito Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mosquito Lake
- Mosquito Lake lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Haines
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mosquito Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mosquito Lake
- Mud Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mud Bay
- Mud Bay lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the southeast of Haines
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mud Bay have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mud Bay
How Far From Haines to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Haines to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Haines and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 74 miles [119.1 km]<1> to the south southeast (SSE). If you could drive a straight line from Haines to Juneau, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 5 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,870 miles [4,618.8 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 6 days, a buggy would take 113 days and walking would take 163 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,121 miles [9,850.8 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,853 miles [11,028.8 km] and it lies to the north (N).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,209 miles [8,383.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Haines: www.haines.ak.us/
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Haines) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Haines. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Haines
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Haines. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 59.2350, Longitude: -135.4454
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Haines could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Haines, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Haines to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 352.085 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 355.541 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 335.88 degrees.||