Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Grant Creek, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Grant Creek and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Grant Creek:
- 65.197500, -152.927222
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Grant Creek
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Grant Creek ...
We have found one communities that share the name Grant Creek.
Within Alaska, the name Grant Creek is unique.
Beyond Alaska, there is another community also named Grant Creek in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Missoula County
- This community is historic<1> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Montana community of Grant Creek [Missoula County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Grant Creek ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Grant Creek, Birches is located 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the West
How Far From Grant Creek to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Grant Creek to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Grant Creek and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 765 miles [1,231.1 km]<2> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Grant Creek to Juneau, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 44 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 30 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,417 miles [5,499.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 134 days and walking would take 195 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,718 miles [9,202.2 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,409 miles [10,314.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,991 miles [8,032.2 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Grant Creek. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Grant Creek, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Grant Creek) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Grant Creek. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 65.1975, Longitude: -152.9272 In this case, the coordinates for Grant Creek have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Grant Creek to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 6.988 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 11.874 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 348.627 degrees.||