Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Goodnews Mining Camp, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Goodnews Mining Camp and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Goodnews Mining Camp:
- 58.926111, -161.730000
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Goodnews Mining Camp
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Goodnews Mining Camp ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
How Far From Goodnews Mining Camp to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Goodnews Mining Camp to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Goodnews Mining Camp and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 976 miles [1,570.7 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Goodnews Mining Camp to Juneau, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take most of two days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 56 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 39 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,790 miles [6,099.4 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 8 days, a buggy would take 148 days and walking would take 216 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,090 miles [9,800.9 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,746 miles [10,856.6 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,458 miles [8,783.8 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Goodnews Mining Camp. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Goodnews Mining Camp) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Goodnews Mining Camp. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 58.9261, Longitude: -161.7300 In this case, the coordinates for Goodnews Mining Camp have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Goodnews Mining Camp to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 14.37 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 20.191 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 355.594 degrees.||