Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Glennallen, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Glennallen and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Glennallen:
- 62.10851, -145.54027
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Glennallen
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Glennallen ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Copper Center
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Copperville
- Copperville lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the southeast of Glennallen
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Copperville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Copperville
- Silver Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Silver Springs
- Silver Springs lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Glennallen
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Silver Springs
How Far From Glennallen to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Glennallen to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Glennallen and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 462 miles [743.5 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Glennallen to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take most of a day to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 27 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 18 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,210 miles [5,166 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 126 days and walking would take 183 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,945 miles [9,567.6 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,653 miles [10,707 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,143 miles [8,276.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Glennallen. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Glennallen) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Glennallen. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Glennallen
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Glennallen. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 62.1085, Longitude: -145.5403
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Glennallen to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 0.661 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 5.026 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 343.176 degrees.||