Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Game Creek, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Game Creek and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Game Creek:
- 58.056667, -135.507778
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Game Creek
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Game Creek ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cannery
- Cannery lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the southeast of Game Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cannery have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cannery
- Cube Cove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cube Cove
- Cube Cove lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the east of Game Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cube Cove have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cube Cove
- Elfin Cove
- Excursion Inlet
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Excursion Inlet
- Excursion Inlet lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the north of Game Creek
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Excursion Inlet
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Freshwater Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Freshwater Bay
- Freshwater Bay lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the southeast of Game Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Freshwater Bay have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Freshwater Bay
- Hawk Inlet
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hawk Inlet
- Hawk Inlet lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the east of Game Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hawk Inlet have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hawk Inlet
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunnyside
- Sunnyside lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the west of Game Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sunnyside have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunnyside
How Far From Game Creek to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Game Creek to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Game Creek and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 43 miles [69.2 km]<1> to the east northeast (ENE). If you could walk a straight line from Game Creek to Juneau, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take about three full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,870 miles [4,618.8 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take 6 days, a buggy would take 113 days and walking would take 163 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,202 miles [9,981.2 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,934 miles [11,159.2 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,284 miles [8,503.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Game Creek. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Game Creek) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Game Creek. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Game Creek
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Game Creek. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 58.0567, Longitude: -135.5078 In this case, the coordinates for Game Creek have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Game Creek to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 352.14 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 355.584 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 336.046 degrees.||