Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Freshwater Bay, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Freshwater Bay and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Freshwater Bay:
- 57.891667, -135.079444
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Freshwater Bay
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Freshwater Bay ...
We have found one communities that share the name Freshwater Bay.
Within Alaska, the name Freshwater Bay is unique.
Beyond Alaska, there is another community also named Freshwater Bay in Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- This Freshwater Bay lies 3,296 miles [5,304.4 km]<1> to the east northeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Freshwater Bay
Curious and Interesting Names Near Freshwater Bay ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cannery
- Cannery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the south of Freshwater Bay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cannery have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cannery
- Cube Cove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cube Cove
- Cube Cove lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the east of Freshwater Bay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cube Cove have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cube Cove
- Game Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Game Creek
- Game Creek lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the northwest of Freshwater Bay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Game Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Game Creek
- Hawk Inlet
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hawk Inlet
- Hawk Inlet lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the northeast of Freshwater Bay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hawk Inlet have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hawk Inlet
How Far From Freshwater Bay to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Freshwater Bay to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Freshwater Bay and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<1> to the northeast (NE). If you could walk a straight line from Freshwater Bay to Juneau, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,854 miles [4,593.1 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take 6 days, a buggy would take 112 days and walking would take 163 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,211 miles [9,995.6 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,944 miles [11,175.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,288 miles [8,510.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Freshwater Bay. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Freshwater Bay) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Freshwater Bay. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Freshwater Bay
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Freshwater Bay. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 57.8917, Longitude: -135.0794 In this case, the coordinates for Freshwater Bay have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Freshwater Bay to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 351.778 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 355.176 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 335.749 degrees.||