Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Four Mile Road, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Four Mile Road and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Four Mile Road:
- 64.60028, -149.11793
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Four Mile Road
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Four Mile Road ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Caribou Crossing
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Caribou Crossing
- Caribou Crossing lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the northwest of Four Mile Road
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Caribou Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Caribou Crossing
- Rock Crossing
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rock Crossing
- Rock Crossing lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Four Mile Road
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rock Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rock Crossing
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Standard
- Standard lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the northeast of Four Mile Road
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Standard have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Standard
How Far From Four Mile Road to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Four Mile Road to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Four Mile Road and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 648 miles [1,042.9 km]<1> to the southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Four Mile Road to Juneau, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 37 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 26 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,310 miles [5,326.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 130 days and walking would take 188 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,769 miles [9,284.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,469 miles [10,410.8 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,007 miles [8,058 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Four Mile Road) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Four Mile Road. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Four Mile Road
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Four Mile Road to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 3.723 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 8.339 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 345.719 degrees.||