Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Coppermount, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Coppermount and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Coppermount:
- 55.216389, -132.608611
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Coppermount
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Coppermount ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Long Island
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Long Island have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Long Island
- Long Island lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the south of Coppermount
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Long Island
- Salt Chuck
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Salt Chuck have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salt Chuck
- Salt Chuck lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the north of Coppermount
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Salt Chuck
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Waterfall have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waterfall
- Waterfall lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the west of Coppermount
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Waterfall
How Far From Coppermount to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Coppermount to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Coppermount and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 223 miles [358.9 km]<1> to the north northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from Coppermount to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 13 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 9 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,757 miles [4,437 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 6 days, a buggy would take 108 days and walking would take 157 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,378 miles [10,264.4 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,118 miles [11,455.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,416 miles [8,716.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Coppermount. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Coppermount) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Coppermount. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.2164, Longitude: -132.6086 In this case, the coordinates for Coppermount have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Coppermount to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 349.679 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 352.771 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 334.21 degrees.||