Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Colorado, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Colorado and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Colorado:
- 63.162720, -149.436048
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Colorado
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Colorado ...
We have found seven communities that share the name Colorado.
Within Alaska, the name Colorado is unique.
Beyond Alaska, we know of another seven communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Imperial County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the California community of Colorado [Imperial County].
- Pope County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Illinois community of Colorado [Pope County].
- Lincoln County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Kansas community of Colorado [Lincoln County].
- Schuylkill County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Pennsylvania community of Colorado [Schuylkill County].
- Bastrop County
- This Colorado is located in Bastrop County and lies 3,228 miles [5,195 km]<2> to the east southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Colorado
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Bastrop County community of Colorado.
- Mitchell County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Texas community of Colorado [Mitchell County].
- Salt Lake County
- This Colorado is located in Salt Lake County and lies 2,164 miles [3,482.6 km]<2> to the east southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Colorado
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Salt Lake County community of Colorado.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Colorado ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Colorado, Gold Creek is located 29 miles [46.7 km] to the South
How Far From Colorado to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Colorado to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Colorado and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 605 miles [973.7 km]<2> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Colorado to Juneau, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 35 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 24 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,328 miles [5,355.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 130 days and walking would take 189 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,868 miles [9,443.6 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,566 miles [10,567 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,105 miles [8,215.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Colorado. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Colorado could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Colorado) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Colorado. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Colorado
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Colorado. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 63.1627, Longitude: -149.4360
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Colorado to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 3.985 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 8.652 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 346.069 degrees.||