Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Cold Bay, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Cold Bay and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Cold Bay:
- 55.205827, -162.717192
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Cold Bay
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Cold Bay ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- False Pass
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for False Pass have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for False Pass
- False Pass lies 33 miles [53.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Cold Bay
- Estimated population in 2019: 43 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on False Pass
- King Cove
How Far From Cold Bay to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Cold Bay to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Cold Bay and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 1,083 miles [1,742.9 km]<2> to the east northeast (ENE). If you could drive a straight line from Cold Bay to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 62 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 43 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,914 miles [6,299 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 8 days, a buggy would take 153 days and walking would take 223 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,329 miles [10,185.5 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,973 miles [11,222 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,717 miles [9,200.6 km] and it lies to the north (N).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cold Bay. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Cold Bay) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cold Bay. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Cold Bay
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cold Bay. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.2058, Longitude: -162.7172
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Cold Bay to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 15.197 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 21.319 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 356.379 degrees.||