Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Cohoe, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Cohoe and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Cohoe:
- 60.368187, -151.307419
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Cohoe
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Cohoe ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Clam Gulch
- Funny River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Funny River have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Funny River
- Funny River lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the northeast of Cohoe
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Funny River
How Far From Cohoe to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Cohoe to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Cohoe and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 609 miles [980.1 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Cohoe to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 35 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 24 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,414 miles [5,494.3 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 134 days and walking would take 194 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,055 miles [9,744.6 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,746 miles [10,856.6 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,307 miles [8,540.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cohoe. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Cohoe) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cohoe. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Cohoe
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cohoe. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 60.3682, Longitude: -151.3074
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Cohoe to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 5.563 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 10.451 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 347.659 degrees.||