Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Chignik Lake, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Chignik Lake and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Chignik Lake:
- 56.253633, -158.763989
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Chignik Lake
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
How Far From Chignik Lake to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Chignik Lake to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<1> beginning in Chignik Lake and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 914 miles [1,470.9 km]<1> to the east northeast (ENE). If you could drive a straight line from Chignik Lake to Juneau, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take most of two days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 52 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 36 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,745 miles [6,027 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 8 days, a buggy would take 147 days and walking would take 213 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,294 miles [10,129.2 km] and it lies to the north (N).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,956 miles [11,194.6 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,631 miles [9,062.2 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Chignik Lake. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Chignik Lake) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Chignik Lake. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Chignik Lake
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Chignik Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 56.2536, Longitude: -158.7640
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Chignik Lake to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 11.87 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 17.582 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 353.403 degrees.||