Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Chickaloon, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Chickaloon and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Chickaloon:
- 61.776025, -148.489332
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Chickaloon
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Chickaloon ...
We have found one communities that share the name Chickaloon.
There is one other community in Alaska which is also named Chickaloon.
- Communities Located In Alaska ...
- The profile page for Chickaloon #1
- This Chickaloon lies 208 miles [334.7 km]<1> to the north.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chickaloon
Curious and Interesting Names Near Chickaloon ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Buffalo Soapstone
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Buffalo Soapstone
- Buffalo Soapstone lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the west of Chickaloon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Buffalo Soapstone
- Farm Loop
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Farm Loop
- Farm Loop lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the southwest of Chickaloon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Farm Loop
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fishhook
- Fishhook lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the west of Chickaloon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fishhook
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jonesville
- Jonesville lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the west of Chickaloon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Jonesville have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jonesville
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Knik River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Knik River
- Knik River lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the southwest of Chickaloon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Knik River
- Lazy Mountain
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lazy Mountain
- Lazy Mountain lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the southwest of Chickaloon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lazy Mountain have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lazy Mountain
- Lucky Shot Landing
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lucky Shot Landing
- Lucky Shot Landing lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the west of Chickaloon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lucky Shot Landing have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lucky Shot Landing
How Far From Chickaloon to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Chickaloon to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Chickaloon and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 539 miles [867.4 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Chickaloon to Juneau, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 31 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 21 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,307 miles [5,322.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 130 days and walking would take 188 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,965 miles [9,599.7 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,665 miles [10,726.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,191 miles [8,354.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Chickaloon. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Chickaloon) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Chickaloon. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Chickaloon
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Chickaloon. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 61.7760, Longitude: -148.4893
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Chickaloon to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 3.172 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 7.788 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 345.441 degrees.||