Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Chicago Creek, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Chicago Creek and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Chicago Creek:
- 65.894444, -162.449167
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Chicago Creek
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Chicago Creek ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Candle have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Candle
- Candle lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the east of Chicago Creek
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Candle
- Fink Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fink Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fink Creek
- Fink Creek lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the west of Chicago Creek
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fink Creek
How Far From Chicago Creek to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Chicago Creek to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Chicago Creek and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 1,033 miles [1,662.5 km]<2> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Chicago Creek to Juneau, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 59 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 41 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,675 miles [5,914.3 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 8 days, a buggy would take 144 days and walking would take 209 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,619 miles [9,042.9 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,287 miles [10,117.9 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,980 miles [8,014.5 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Chicago Creek. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Chicago Creek) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Chicago Creek. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 65.8944, Longitude: -162.4492 In this case, the coordinates for Chicago Creek have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Chicago Creek to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 15.141 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 20.667 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 356.016 degrees.||