Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Cheerful, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Cheerful and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Cheerful:
- 54.013889, -166.675000
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Cheerful
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Cheerful ...
We have found one communities that share the name Cheerful.
Within Alaska, the name Cheerful is unique.
Beyond Alaska, there is another community also named Cheerful in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Clarion County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Pennsylvania community of Cheerful [Clarion County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Cheerful ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Cheerful, Dutch Harbor is located 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the Southeast
How Far From Cheerful to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Cheerful to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Cheerful and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 1,262 miles [2,031 km]<2> to the east northeast (ENE). If you could drive a straight line from Cheerful to Juneau, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about three full days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 72 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 50 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 4,092 miles [6,585.4 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 9 days, a buggy would take 160 days and walking would take 233 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,362 miles [10,238.6 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,986 miles [11,242.9 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,805 miles [9,342.2 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cheerful. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Cheerful could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Cheerful) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cheerful. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 54.0139, Longitude: -166.6750 In this case, the coordinates for Cheerful have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Cheerful to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 18.508 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 25.051 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 359.348 degrees.||